Sunday, April 5, 2009

comfort of habits.

the windows box has been brought back into use.

it's not that i don't like my mac. i do. in general, i am perfectly happy to use os x over windows.

except for one thing.

it took me a while to figure it out. but i've been thinking about it more and more as graduate school looms in the fall. also, two years in a row of failed nanowrimo helped.

i'm a wordperfect user. have been for years. totally addicted to the "reveal codes" functionality. it's just the word processing/text tool that i am most comfortable with. i can use word, but i don't like it. i've been trying out scrivener for my novels, but it is a little too much for me, and the features i really wanted don't work the way i want them to.

so today, we went to microcenter, and purchased an iogear dvi/usb + audio kvm switch.

after a few mishaps, we got it installed, and it works perfectly. keyboard, mouse, monitor. i haven't tried audio yet, but that's because in general, i do not allow my computers to make noise. i'm really surprised, to be honest. it's a pleasant surprise, granted, but it's definitely surprise. kvms tend to be finicky, and this one is switching between a mac and a home-built windows desktop (i can't bring myself to actually call it a pc. technically, macs are also personal computers. plus, now they're even intel-based). but now i'll be able to use wordperfect again, plus play games using my nice wireless mouse and digital input to my monitor.

all this just because i'm only comfortable with an ancient piece of software.

if i'm not careful, i'll turn into my dad.

No comments: