Tuesday, April 26, 2005

corporations.

grrr. so i get a thingy in the mail yesterday titled "Important Changes to Your Credit Card Account." already i'm apprehensive. the changes are:

1) the interest rate is going from 9.99% to 24.99%. this wouldn't normally affect me as i pay off my balances in full with each payment. but it gets better.

2) the due date is going to be changing. it may now be only 20 days after your closing date. which means even less days between when the statement is actually delivered and when your money is due.

so first the up the default rate, and then they make it easier to, oh shit, NOT GET YOUR PAYMENT IN ON TIME. the best part?
We made these non-APR changes to your account primarily due to a change in our business practices.
oh, i see. so you're not actually making enouch money by ripping people off to begin with, you have to make it harder to avoid interest and finance charges. granted, it says "non-APR" because you can write them and reject the change to your APR, but then of course, they might decide to close your account.

i understand credit cards are a necessity of life nowadays. it's not practical to carry all the money i need as cash on me all the time. but, seriously. is it in your best interests to fuck your customers? oh, of course it is. you'll make more money that way. except...we have a discover card, and not only do they give us cash back, but they credit the payment by the postmark, instead of whenever they get off their lazy asses and decide to notice our cheque cleared.

well, fuck you, MBNA. anyone know a better visa/mastercard issuer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and I wrote pretty much the same thing at the same time! I wrote about MBNA's tricks myself at my blog. Not sure if I can stick a URL in here, so I won't try, but go visit my web page (if you want!), and compare notes :)

Screw MBNA.

Anonymous said...

Well, all I can say is... *pulls out wallet* whoever administers Harleysville National's CC can fuck themselves. I've moved three times in three years, and they only managed to get the first adress change. The bank office, however, has gotten all of them processed, so they mail me my statemtns after the statements have been returned to them.
Luckily, I pay online.